Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hater of the English Language?

I used to think that the English language was a beautiful and glorious thing. Until, that is, I began teaching my 1st grader to read. Now I see what a bleeping bleep bleep of jumbled up hoo ha it actually is. Likewise, I thought math was the most ridiculous mess of nonsense on the planet. I see now, that my hated math actually makes rules and follows them and that my beloved english is a twisted practical joke at best and sincere form of torture at worst.

But I see this exercise in teaching as a challenge. I will not let the rebellion of english against itself stop my daughter from learning not only to read, but to love words. I most graciously thank every teacher of reading and english I ever had. I'm not sure how you did it, but you taught be a nonsensical subject and made me fall in love with it.

So, hater of the english language? No, still helplessly in love. I guess the old saying is true. You really can't help "who" you fall in love with. No matter how tortuously insane they may be.

No comments: