Saturday, November 10, 2012

I've been doing the NaNoWriMo challenge and having some decent success. I've gotten about 13,000 words written in 10 days, which doesn't really seem like that much I guess, but when you figure that usually takes me more than a month to get that done, I feel like I'm trucking right along.

Because it's a daily writing challenge (50,000 in 30 days) it's gotten me  to alter my usual writing schedule. I usually only write on Thursday. My wonderful husband takes Thursday off, stays with the kids, and I go into his office and spend the day writing. This is wonderful because it gives me hours at a time to review and edit and read through parts that I need that sort of uninterrupted time.

I had let myself believe that with three kids at home all day (I home school) there was no way I could write everyday and I let myself off the hook, so to speak.

But taking this NaNoWriMo challenge calls for more than just Thursdays. So I decided to throw housework to the wind and write everyday.

I have to be ready to roll at the drop of a nap (I write when the baby sleeps and there's no set schedule for that.) It also means I have to toss my excuses out the window.

I can't write if there's a mess in the kitchen.
I can't write if there's laundry to do.
I can't write if the floor needs to be vacuumed.
I can't write if we're not done with lessons.
I can't write if my favorite cooking show is on.

But you know what, it turns out that I can.

I can actually clean later. We can do math after 3pm. I can watch TV some other time. (I probably wasn't going to remember that recipe anyway.)

They say it takes 30 days to make something a habit. We'll see come December 1st.

Until then, I'm off to write...the laundry will wait.

No comments: